Why You Should Listen
In this episode, you will learn about "Bitten: The Secret History of Lyme Disease and Biological Weapons".
Watch The Show
Listen To The Show
About My Guest
My guest for this episode is Kris Newby. Kris Newby is an award-winning science writer at Stanford University and the senior producer of the Lyme disease documentary, Under Our Skin, which premiered at the Tribeca Film Festival and was a 2010 Oscar semifinalist. She has two degrees in engineering, a Bachelor’s degree from the University of Utah and a Master’s degree from Stanford University. Previously, she was a technology writer for Apple and other Silicon Valley companies. She lives in Palo Alto, CA.
- How did it feel to be a senior producer on "Under Our Skin"?
- What did Willy Burgdorfer share in the early interviews for the film?
- How did Willy discover the spirochete that other scientists had missed?
- What were the goals of the biological weapons program?
- Is Lyme disease the result of the bioweapons program or a natural occurrence?
- What organisms were part of the cocktail that Willy was experimenting with?
- What is the "Swiss Agent" and the role it may play in the Lyme disease epidemic?
- What is the "Anthrax Hotel" and the "Eight Ball"? What happened to those that were part of the experiments at the "Eight Ball"?
- What role do viruses and parasites play in Lyme disease?
- Was Willy a good guy or a bad guy?
- Did Willy's own death from Parkinson's disease potentially result from his own experiments?
Connect With My Guest
May 22, 2019
The content of this show is for informational purposes only and is not intended to diagnose, treat, or cure any illness or medical condition. Nothing in today's discussion is meant to serve as medical advice or as information to facilitate self-treatment. As always, please discuss any potential health-related decisions with your own personal medical authority.